Monday, March 26, 2007

heroes/friends

It was summer in the Garden of Eden, for the seven of us.
You can't imagine what we had; can't just conjure it up.
But you could feel it, and see it from a distance;

And sometimes, I lay awake at night,
and smile at the fact there aren't words enough
to paint the feelings i have;
feelings that run deep in my blood,
and have carved streams with paths like canyons
running across and down my heart.

Do you remember those night drives?
The hours spent in conversation and in silence,
listening to our family drift to sleep.
Sometimes it was enough-
enough to make anything worth it.

I can't forget you. I won't forget you.
Because I believed you when you said,
"We could do this forever."

But in August we ate the fruit,
And in September our language diverged.
And in the wake of it all, I questioned everything.
And by the end, everything I believed in was gone.
Even you.

So I hid, and buried my face in my own potential,
feeding it water and sun, shaking with anticipation,
hoping that I could grow on my own.
I hid because that was the only thing I knew how to do.
I hid because when you laughed, it reminded me of God.
I hid because I believed you when you said,
"We could do this forever."

--------

Sometimes, people say to me, "I wish I could go back."
But you know what? I don't.
Because things come full circle.
And I'm looking back at everything I left behind last September,
and I think pretty soon, I'll be running- running back home.
Because ultimately, I believe in things that I can't see.
And I believe that we can do this forever;
in what capacity or on which path is not for me to choose.

And I look down the road, and see us in twenty years.
And I can hear your voice on the phone.
And I can hear you laugh.
And it reminds me of God.

You are my heroes.
You are my friends

No comments: